Primary Pediatrics is a pediatric group practice in Maryland with three convenient locations in Laurel, Bowie, and Silver Spring. We take care of infants, children, and adolescents from birth through 21 years of age. Our group has 9 physicians and 2 pediatric nurse practitioners, and we are affiliated with Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring.We hope you find the information on this website helpful. If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment, feel free to call any of our offices.
2014-15 FLU VACCINE FAQ’s
We strongly recommend that all children age 6 months and older get a Flu Vaccine every year.
This year we have three types of Flu Vaccine:
1) Standard Flu shots (sometimes called IIV or Inactivated Influenza Vaccine)
2) Preservative-Free Flu shots (same as above in single-dose vials)
3) FluMist nasal spray (sometimes called LAIV or Live Inactivated Influenza Vaccine)
All of our flu vaccines are quadrivalent, meaning they protect against 4 different virus strains. In the past, flu vaccines were trivalent, protecting against only 3 different virus strains.
Which vaccine is right for your child? FluMist is the preferred vaccine for healthy children 2-8 years of age who have no contraindications. FluMist is not approved for children under 2 or for anyone with a history of recurrent wheezing or asthma. Those patients will need to get the flu shot. If you prefer that your child get the preservative-free flu shot, just let us know when you come in.
Who needs a booster dose? If your child is 8 years or younger and is receiving the flu vaccine for the first time, they will need to come back for a booster dose in one month. If your child is 8 years or younger and received at least one dose of flu vaccine last year OR two doses since 2010, the booster dose is not needed.
What about patients with allergy to eggs? You may have heard in the past that Flu Vaccine is not safe for people with egg allergy. Recent evidence suggests that those with mild egg allergy (hives or other rash, worsening of eczema) may get the flu vaccine safely. If you are unsure, speak with one of our providers or discuss with your allergist.
What about children under 6 months? Since these children cannot be vaccinated against the flu, it is especially important for everyone else in the household (parents, grandparents, siblings, etc.) to get their flu vaccine in order to protect the young infants.
One final note: The Flu Vaccine has been well-studied over the years. It is safe and effective. Side effects may include low-grade fever, pain at the injection site, and a stuffy nose (from FluMist). THE FLU VACCINE WILL NOT GIVE YOU THE FLU.
-Our Silver Spring office has moved. We are now operating at our new location:
12520 Prosperity Drive, Suite 150, Silver Springs, MD 20904
- Patient portal: You can now use the eClinicalWorks patient portal to request routine appointments, medication refills, and specialist referrals. Please allow 3 business days for us to fulfill your request(s). If you have an urgent matter, please call the office. To get more information about the portal or to create an account, go to https://mycw4.eclinicalweb.com/prim/jsp/login.jsp.
- We have walk-in hours for sick visits in all 3 of our offices Monday through Friday at 8:00 am only. You must be signed in by 8:15 am. We do not have walk-in hours on the weekends. All weekend visits are in the Laurel office by appointment only. The office opens at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday morning and 9:00 a.m. on Sunday morning.
Office Locations Laurel Montpelier Professional Center 9811 Mallard Drive, Suite 109 Laurel, MD 20708 Phone: 301-776-8000 Fax: 301-776-8052 Get directions or Map this location
Bowie Maryland Science and Technology Park 17001 Science Drive, Suite 116 Bowie, MD 20715 Phone: 301-464-2300 Fax: 301-464-9604 Get directions or Map this location
Silver Spring PS Business Parks 12520 Prosperity Drive, Suite 150 Silver Spring, MD 20904 Phone: 301-989-0085 Fax: 301-989-9063 Get directions or Map this location